question-icon

What causes a yellowish orange patch on the scalp?

Posted on Wed, 23 Aug 2017
Question: Hi Doctor,
Please see the mark in the head of my brother. This is birth mark. No pain. See attached.
It has grown bit bigger. Can you suggest what is it and do we need to worry.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Nevus Sebaceous

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.
I can see a hairless, yellowish orange, raised patch in scalp.
It is a Nevus Sebaceous. It is a nevus i.e is usually congenital. Nevus sebaceous may increase in size and become raised at puberty but it is benign and usually does not require any intervention.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist