Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes a woman to bleed after menopause?

Answered by
Dr. Eni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 319 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I am 57 Year’s old and have not had a period in years. I have used an estrogen patch for the past 2.5 Year’s. I have had an extremely heavy period with clotting and cramps for the past 9 days. I am in California till March and my on/gym at home wants me to go to the ER. Is this necessary?
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is better and safer to go

Detailed Answer:

From what you have written, it seems that your condition needs further exploration from a specialist.
Heavy bleeding for 9 days is itself dangerous enough. The fact that you have had many years without periods and with an estrogen patch, makes it even more suspicious. Bleeding, in this case, can be from cysts in your uterus or even from other pathologies. You will need to do blood work, transvaginal ultrasound and other tests which the specialist will deem necessary for your case.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on