What causes a whooshing sound in ears and tingling tongue?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what causes a whooshing sound in ears and tongue to tingle?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus,Chorda tympani/Trigeminal Nerve, ETD,TMJ

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The whooshing sound in the ears is known as Tinnitus.

2. The tingling of the tongue may be caused by local factors such as a dryness in the mouth, local inflammation, acid reflux or problems with the Chorda tympani nerve that supplies taste sensation to the anterior two-thirds of the tongue. This nerve is a branch of the Facial (Seventh Cranial) nerve that travels through the ear and hence the two symptoms of tinnitus and tingling of the tongue point to the ear as the source, especially if these symptoms are one sided.

3. The Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial) nerve which supplies sensation to the face may also be involved, Get an ear examination, hearing tests and a Neurologist's opinion. TemporoMandibular Joint (TMJ) Duusorders may also present this way.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist