• question-icon

What causes a white patch in the mouth?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my dentist has found white skin in my mouth. a biopsy shows not malignant but cells are thickening. i smoke a cigar every evening. hate to give it up. is this potential life and death issue? Give up my favorite pastime?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is indeed a potential life and death issue.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The white "non-cancerous" patch is actually a pre-cancerous lesion and a strong warning from your body that it can bear your favourite past-time no longer. It is another way for the body to say that you have to choose any one of the two. Whether you want to part with your body and keep the past-time (how?) is entirely upon you but if you continue it, it is only a matter of time that you would develop cancer. Studies have confirmed the harmful nature of smoking and that it leads to cancer. The same is clearly mentioned on the packets of the cigars you smoke. It is indeed a potential life and death issue. You have to make your choice.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 hours later
Thank you. I appreciate your direct response. It does make my decision to quit much easier.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I appreciate your judgement

Detailed Answer:
I am glad that you are doing the right thing. Feel free to ask me directly if you ever have a health related questions in the future.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha