What causes a white coated tongue?
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
A white coated tongue might have various causes like dry mouth,dehydration,smoking,alcohol use, poor oral hygiene etc.Mostly it is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria.
You can try to keep a very good oral hygiene and brush gently your tongue twice a day with a soft toothbrush or tongue scraper.You can use an antiseptic mouthwash
and drink plenty of water.
If you have been feeling sluggish for a while now ,you need to get examined.
In this case I would suggest to consult a physician and get examined.A detailed medical history and physical examination are necessary.
Some tests are necessary to exclude common causes like :
-Complete blood count to exclude anemia
-Blood sugar to exclude Diabetes.
-Thyroid function test to exclude Hypothyroidism.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other question.I would be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes white patches with deep lines on tongue
- What causes sore throat with white tongue
- Cause of dry white tongue
- What causes burning sensation on tongue with white coating
- Homeophatic white tongue causes
- Cause of yellow coated tongue
- Can nyquil cause a white coating on tongue
- White coating on tongue causes duromine
- Cocaine causes white tongue
- What causes white spots on tongue with headache