What causes a visible clot on the neck?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: After coming from morning jog, I have found that there is visible clot (gaath) on my neck, below ear. It is large, viaible and on pressed, pains (little) too. It wasnt there earlier. What is it and do i have to worry here?_
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I need to know if the clot has any colour like greenish or reddish. Any other symptoms?

From your description it is either lymph node or an insect bite. Insect bites usually have a bite mark. Alongwith these are itchy and swollen areas.

It does seem a benign issue and should resolve in a few days.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 minutes later
Its is neither showing any color (green or red) nor its a insect bite, no itchyness. This is the first time that im encountering this problem. Is this normal, Doc?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seen photo from another query

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have seen the photo attached to your other query. It does seem like a lymph node that is slightly enlarged. It should go down soon. If it doesnt go down in 3-4 days, then please get it examined by a surgeon. An ultrasound of the lump will reveal what it is. A biopsy is confirmatory. The examining surgeon will be able to advise about further management. Lymph node enlargements mostly resolve by themselves.

For the time being, if it is soft to touch then it is of no worry. If it is hard or rock hard to touch, then I would worry.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee