• question-icon

What causes a swollen vein in the forearm?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Thank you for responding I was in the hospital for 4 days about 4 weeks ago and during that time I had an IV going. Now in that area right forearm half way between wrist and elbow, favoring the right side of forearm the vein is swollen and darkened about 2"+/- toward the top center of arm. Does not really hurt but you can see it and it feels somewhat hard.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
thrombophlebitis

Detailed Answer:

this is probably a thrombophlebitis that is an inflammation of the vein. This is a fairly common untoward event that occurs when an IV-cannula stays in place for more than a couple of days or when irritating (for the veins) drugs are infused through the line. If there are no signs of inflammation like redness, warmth and pain then there is nothing more to do. It will get better by itself. Otherwise make sure you get your doctor to assess it.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis