question-icon

What causes a swollen bruise on the thumb?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: I woke up this morning to swelling and a tiny hint of a bruise on my left thumb. There was no injury to it and it's very tight and painful to bend as the swelling is near the joint. I am a bit concerned as I have no idea what this could be. Can you get a blood clot in your thumb near the tip/joint?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Blood clot in this area is almost impossible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo your thumb?

Blood clot in this area is hardly possible. Most likely you have some kind of inflammation (can be rheumatic) or due to increased uric acid amount in your blood.
Generally, in such situation, x-ray, lukewarm compresses and anti-inflammatory drugs are typical treatment. In many cases, the reason of such inflammation is hard to detect.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (8 minutes later)
Okay I uploaded a photo for your review.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You may wait and see.

Detailed Answer:
It looks more like a vein has ruptured than clotted. You may wait and see couple of days. For sure lukewarm compresses are good idea. Ibuprofen or Diclophenac should also help.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon