What causes a swollen and painful spot near the ear?
Might be suffering from Parotitis
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.
Looking at the symptoms,your son might be suffering from Parotitis(Inflammation of the Parotid Gland).Parotid gland is a salivary gland which secretes saliva in the mouth through a duct.Blockage of this tube may lead to inflammation of the parotid gland.
He may get relief by taking following medicines:
Antibiotic like Augmentin,
Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen with Antacid like Rantac,
Antipyretic like Paracetamol in case of fever and
Vitamin C lozenges.
Also apply warm compresses over the swelling to reduce pain.Drink lots of fluids.
Gentle massage of the swelling from posterior to anterior may also help(if the swelling is a parotid gland swelling as the massage will help to drain the collected salivary secretions ).
If there is no improvement in a day or two after following the above measures,then it would be advisable to consult an Otolaryngologist Doctor
Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.
Seems less possibility of Infectious mononucleosis or mumps
Hi,thank you for your follow-up question.
There seems less possibility of Infectious mononucleosis or Mumps.
Infectious mononucleosis generally present with sore throat and significant fatigue(weakness), palatal petechiae(small red or purple spots caused by bleeding visible in the palate) and Neck lymph node enlargement.
Mumps generally presents with bilateral parotid gland inflammation.
Even,if the cause is mumps or infectious mononucleosis,except antibiotics,the other treatment would remain the same as advised before.
Hope this answers your question.Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swollen fingers and painful ear
- What causes ear pain
- What causes swollen gums and ear infection in toddler
- What causes painful swollen epididymis
- What causes painful swollen eyelid
- What causes swollen earlobe with fluid in ears
- Causes of swollen ear canal
- What causes painful and swollen eye
- Swollen ear caused by hit
- What causes painful swollen knee
- What are the signs and symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection?
- Suggest treatment for sinus infection
- Suggest treatment for severe sore throat
- Suggest treatment for cold and blocked ears
- Suggest treatment for tingling sensation on face and intracranial...
- Suggest treatment for severe cold, runny nose, fever and cough
- Suggest treatment for high BP, cough and cold
- How can a painful canker sore on the tongue be treated?
- What causes burning sensation in the throat?
- Suggest treatment for sinus infection and swollen tonsils