What causes a sudden water blister in the wrist surrounded by itchy sores?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I had my heart XXXXXXX Wednesday thru the wrist. Dr said everything looked good no blockages but the next day I woke up to a big water blister on my wrist that now looks like a burn and just started scratching another spot that is all red and can see little sores. Both are about 2 inches away from the puncture hole made for the XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps that is due to extravasation of contrast material into the surrounding skin through the puncture site on wrist. I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
I sent picture. I thought the tape pulled my skin up a little when I took it off is why I first got the water blister but then the other little spots were itching real bad I look down and it was all red with two little tiny spots (closer to the band aid in the picture). You may need to know I kind of freak out over things I have very bad anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic contact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the image.
After looking at the image I think that perhaps this is Allergic Contact Dermatitis to tape adhesive rather than due to extravasation of contrast as suspected earlier. Itching is a common symptom of allergic contact dermatitis as is water /fluid blisters.
I suggest you to apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1 %cream Or triamcinolone acetonide0.1 %cream, twice daily.
In addition to this you may take a tab cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T