question-icon

What causes a sudden pull and soreness in lower abdomen while running?

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: I was paying softball and while running from 3rd to home i felt a pull in my lower abdomin that is only sore when I walk or run. No pain when I run and hold my breath and no pain when I cough or lift.

seem to also have a lot of gas right now.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
It sounds like you have a strained muscle in your abdomen. It can take this a few weeks to heal so avoid things that irritate it and avoid heavy lifting.
Here are some things to make it feel better:
1) take ibuprofen as needed
2) apply warm compresses or soak in a warm tub a few times a day
3) take a multivitamin and extra vitamin C daily
4) don't do vigorous stretching until it heals, though mild stretching is okay
If the pain becomes severe, something else could be going on so see a doctor immediately if this happens
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson