What causes a stye in an eye?

Ophthalmologist
Question
What causes a stye in an eye? how can it be remedied? does it require medical attention?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stye is caused by bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

Stye is inflammation of the glands of Zeiss and moll which are present at the eye lid margin at the root of the eyelashes.
It is caused by bacterial infection.
The treatment is by use of antibiotic eye drops, antiinflammatory drugs for pain relief.
Applying hot compression provides symptomatic relief.

You need to consult your doctor if the condition is recurrent to rule out predisposing factors like uncorrected refractive errors, blepharitis....

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards