What causes a spinal hematoma after taking an epidural steroid injection?

Dr. Senduran Narayanasamy

Posted on Mon, 1 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am scheduled to have facet joint injections tomorrow....have had epidurals and facet injections before......I just remembered I did not stop taking my plavix and aspirin.....took the last doses last night.....will Doctor make me wait or can he performs the procedure tomorrow at all?
Answered by Dr. Senduran Narayanasamy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The Doctor may perform the procedure

Detailed Answer:
Hello there

Thanks for asking to healthcaremagic

The risk of spinal hematoma following epidural injection is meagre and studies have confirmed it.But in practice,few doctors advise to wait for few days after stopping the antiplatelets like aspirin,plavix.
If you are taking the drugs for primary prophylaxis(like history of previous stroke or MI),the benefit of taking the drugs surely more than the epidural injection complication risk.

Finally in my opinion,the procedure can be performed .But don't forget to inform your doctor as early as possible.

Further queries are welcome

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D