What causes a soft lump behind jawbone?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi...I have just below my ear lobe and just behind the back of my jawbone what seems to me to be a hard lump. I am not sick and I feel perfectly fine. It is not rock hard but it is far from soft. I thought it may be a cyst because i wasn't sure there were lymph nodes at that location. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lymph node or cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In this location such lump can be a lymph node. Lymph nodes can be present below the jawbone and behind it as well. Such enlarged lymph node can appear due to ear infection, throat infection or teeth infection. It may also remain from the infection present in the past. Lymph node is usually movable and firm.

Cyst is also possible reason. Especially sebaceus cyst. There should be visible a tiny dent in the skin if this is a cyst.

If you do not smoke, no need to be concerned. However if you smoke, you should consult laryngologist at first.

For sure the best answer soft tissues ultrasound can give. Please consult your doctor and consider this test.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Thanks for getting back to me. Size is about an inch in diameter maybe slightly smaller. It is as you say firm and somewhat moveable. When I press in on it firmly it is a little painfull but not much. I think I have had this before but it never seemed this large before. Its like I can sometimes feel it and other times it is hardly noticeable. I don't think I have an infection because I feel fine or does this mean its a precursor to becoming sick? You say it could be left over from past infections....does that mean that art some point my when I had an infection in the past that it became enlarged and never went completely down. How long should this last before going down to a more normal size?
thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
If its a lymph node, can stay there for a long time.

Detailed Answer:
Form your second description it seems that you have a lymph node in this location. It could appear due to some infection in the past and never went down indeed. In such situation, it wont completely disappear and can stay in this place for a long time.
It may also indicate that you have some teeth problem for example. You may not have any other symptoms. If you havent seen dentist for a long time, please try to do it.
Just want you to know that this does not seem to be anything serious or anything you should be worried. Just keep it under observation. If it will be getting bigger, consult a doctor. If another one lymph node will appear and will be enlarged, consult a doctor.
Otherwise you may leave it alone and see what will happen.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon