question-icon

What causes a small whitish blister on the frenulum of the tongue?

Posted on Wed, 22 May 2019
Question: What causes small painless whitish blister on the frenulum of the tongue. Not painful, but it causes discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
A picture would be helpful

Detailed Answer:

A single white blister under the tongue can be a common occurrence and is usually harmless and transitory. It may be related to a mild injury in the tongue or to an allergic reaction. If, however, there are more of them and they become painful a diagnosis of aphthous ulcers should be considered. I would advise you see an ENT specialist if the blister persists or becomes painful or increases in number.

Ultimately, for a more accurate answer, I would need to see a picture to get a better idea of the type of blister.

I hope this helps. Take care.

Dr. Ornela Ademovi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ornela Ademovi