question-icon

What causes a small spot on top of the foot?

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018
Question: A small pinprick-like spot on the top of my foot (insect bite?) about 2 weeks ago eventually developed a small round black scab, which I noticed 5-6 days ago. Picked it off. Another appeared. Peroxide two days ago produced foaming & small amount of blood. There is a small, irregular blackened area emanating from it. Is it likely to clear up on its own? How long should I give it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (41 hours later)
I uploaded two pictures yesterday. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Images not received

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Unfortunately I have not received any images.
I request you to kindly upload the images again in "Reports Section".
You may also mail me the images at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of the mail as 'Attention :Dr. Kakkar'.
Kindly contact customer care service of HealthcareMagic for any assistance.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (16 hours later)
Images from XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
The darkened area around the scab is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It will resolve gradually in 3-4 weeks after the wound and inflammation resolves. I suggest you to apply a topical antibiotic e.g either Neosporin ointment(triple antibiotic) or Mupirocin 2 % ointment, twice daily for the eroded/scabbed area. I also suggest you to take an oral Vitamin C supplement daily as it would help resolve the pigmentation faster.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist