What causes a small red patch on labia majora?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Dr,
I had a small red patch(Almost 1 cm length and 1/2 cm width little more oval shape,similar to a psoriasis patch) on my labia majora.It was not that much itchy but had a few noticeble uneasiness with respect to the infected site,had no other symptoms like lymph node,fever etc.After three days skin peeled off and became like a wound but not shallow(can not call it as an ulcer,it had a high surface).After 5 days completely cured and it left a mark.Medicine taken was Azythromycin.

Kindly advise me.

JS
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably it was a bacterial skin infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.

I suggest a likely possibility of bacterial skin infection/ folliculitis considering the fact that it responded to Oral Azithromycin.
The mark left is post-inflammatory and would resolve on its own with time.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
I am worried about that open sore /wound ,nothing else.What is its reason.I am too much concerned about it.Kindly advise.No vaginal discharge nothing.

I have vaginal dryeness as i am in age 45 plus have hypo thyroidism.

JS
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

A sore/ wound is quite normal with a bacterial infection. You said that it healed within 5 days on azithromycin and left a mark.

Do you have any such history of sores earlier?
Are you sexual active? If yes, with single or multiple sexual partners? and when was you last sexual contact?
Can you upload an Image if there is still some sore or wound present?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Sorry Dr.You have not replied my second query.

I am waiting for your reply

JS
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest either HRT or estrogens creams for vaginal dryness

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Vaginal dryness is most likely due to diminishing estrogen levels that can be part of peri-menopause Or menopause.
I would suggest either Estrogen creams, Hormone replacement therapy/ HRT for vaginal dryness.
These should improve your symptoms within 2-3 weeks.
I suggest that you talk to your gynecologist for more details regarding these.

Hypothyroidism too could be a contributing reason for vaginal dryness and I would suggest thyroid replacement therapy, if you are not already on it.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 24 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
2 years before I had an open sore with totally different symptom.It was also near to vaginal opening in labia majora.(I had vaginal thrush and a flesh coloured bump (catchable size ),then also I haven't had any blisters or lymph nodes,no oozing,not severe pain or itching,fever nothing.But it changed to open sore and healed with mark with antibiotic within 5 days.I doubted that as bartholian gland.

This time different symptom,red patch(No blisters) came up and after three days its corroded with a wet wound but no oozing no lymph node ,no fever,a very little bit itch,soreness when falling water.It also gone within 5 days with a mark.

I am in sexual contact with my husband frequently but he doesn't have any issues since these two years.

Kindly advise.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A suggest a test to rule out possibility of genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for additional details.
The only other possibility apart from bacterial skin infection, that this sore in genital area could be is that of recurrent genital herpes.
Recurrent genital herpes is usually a minor episode, is asymptomatic or may have minor symptoms like pain, burning, itching and systemic symptoms like fever are usually absent.
Recurrent genital herpes is self healing and heals within 3-5 days without treatment.
These episodes may even pass unnoticed.
There might be just a single or a few grouped, discrete or coalesced erosions/ sores in recurrent genital herpes.
Therefore I suggest a blood test for HSV by ELISA for type 1 and type 2 virus to rule out this possibility.
Herpes is acquired sexually from an infected sexual partner.
People who have had multiple sexual partners might not be aware when and where did they acquire herpes infection

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Dear Dr,
Thanks for the reply.

I will do if it occurs again.Meanwhile could you please suggest the precautions to avoid the recurrances at least.

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
First step is to confirm whether it is herpes Or not

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The first and foremost thing here is to confirm whether it is herpes or not, by a blood test.
ELISA for HSV can be done even during clinically asymptomatic phases. It detects circulating antibodies against HSV.
If this test comes out to be negative that would rule out Herpes as a possibility.

Even if the condition which you have is indeed genital herpes, there is still no need for a regular antiviral treatment because your episodes are far and few in between and they are mild in severity.
You may, however, take episodic treatment with an Oral antiviral e.g valacyclovir, if and when episodes do occur.

The precaution that one needs to take with genital herpes is that one should avoid sexual intercourse during a clinical episode of herpes/ active sores so as to reduce risk of transmission to sexual partner and it would be even better if you insist on your partner to use a condom for each and every sexual contact that you have with him.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist