What causes a small pea sized lump in front of right ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Three days ago I noticed (when washing my face) a small, pea-sized lump in front of my right ear. It is firm, painless, and doesn't move. I am worried that it is cancer. Some other info that is possibly relevant: I just got over a pretty bad cold that lasted about 3 weeks. My right ear (same ear that has the lump in front of it) has been 'plugged' or had a full feeling, ringing, and unable to pop it for close to a year. I have very small ear canals (so I'm told) so I wonder if it's wax build-up. I have not tried much for at home remedies because there is simply too much for dos and don'ts on the internet and I don't know what to believe. Everything I read about cancerous tumors sounds like what I have so I'm very scared.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not likely to be cancer.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A simple ear examination will rule out ear wax build-up.

2. If there is no ear wax build-up, a hearing test, PTA )Pure Tone Audiometry) and an Impedance Audiometry (I/A or Tympanometry) should be done to check Eustachian Tube Function. This will help find out why the ear seems to be plugged.

3. A sub-centimeter sized preauricular lymph node is considered reactive and harmless. Cancerous lymph nodes keep growing. If you feel it persists or is increasing in size, get a USG (Ultrasound) done to differentiate between a lymph node, parotid salivary gland or rarer lumps.

4. A USG guided FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will settle the issue, if required.

5. Upload these test results for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.