• question-icon

    What causes a small painful lump on the left testicle?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am a 44 year old male in relatively good health except for some minor aches and pains because I have a very physically demanding job which helps to keep me healthy also. On my left testicle towards the bottom I felt a small lump seems to be attached to the testicle there is a little bit of pain when I push on it. It is right near some type of vein on the bottom of the test itself. Of course looking this up on the Internet everything points to testicular cancer in which I have no one that I know in the family with that particular cancer, and no known history of an undescended testicle. Of course I am quite nervous. Some insight would be helpful. Could a cyst present itself as such.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cyst is very likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can fully understand your concern.

You need to get your doubt cleared.
Get yourself examined, by an Urologist.
Did you have any injury on the testis recently.

You may be right in suspecting a cyst,which're usually in the upper part of testis.
Cancers are not so easily made out, on self examination.
Neither it will be attached to the skin.

If you do the following tests, it'll be easier in giving an expert opinion :

1. blood routine, creatinine, platelets, RBS,HIV,HbsAg,VDRL and LFT.
2. scrotal ultrasound doppler scan.

Send the reports here, and your doubts will be over.
Wish you good health.

Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 24 minutes later
The lump is on the lower half of the testicle itself not on the skin or outer layer of the testicle. It is near those veins that seem like they run up the back of my testicle. And not to sound like a broken record but everything on the blogs that you read on the internet are mostly horrible bad news. That's why I went on one of these sites to ask a professional instead of taking people's word for it on the internet blog sites again no known pain
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medical treatment is advised after confirming diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

After examination by an Urologist, get the scan done.

The scrotal, doppler ultrasound scan, will give an accurate picture of the swelling, in relation to the testis.
Once that's known, we have a good idea,what we're dealing with.
According to the report,any Urologist can give an expert advice,on proper treatment.

An Urologist can advise treatment, after confirming a diagnosis, for which, an examination and required tests are done.
On basis of assumption, we cannot advise any body.
Hope you understand what i mean.
You don't read about testicular cancer,assuming you have it.

Don't get so anxious, without knowing what the swelling is.

Wish you well.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat


Practicing since :1981

Answered : 1897 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Vdrl

doctor1 MD

I am 32 year old man. I had XXXXXXX encounter with 3 man in massage parlour in three different days. In all the 3 cases we have used condoms but in...

doctor1 MD

I have a question about a recent intercouse with a stripper

doctor1 MD

Hi. I'm concerned about possible std risk I'm in xxxxxxxxxxx on holidays and met a Thai girl. My condom broke which left me exposed I went to the...

doctor1 MD

R/dr I was suffering from the VDRL positive and the same was treated by the doctor.the doctor checkde the VDRL report and sidt to me the infection...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Azax 500 will reduce vdrl infection? it yes how long i have to take this medicine ?how do i get to know that vdrl infection is cured, when i...

doctor1 MD

Self is kamal,

i had a test for VDRL and it was positive, & now I did TPHA result has not come yet. i never had sex with any one in my life accept...

doctor1 MD

Ok so I had to get tested for VDRL and TPHA, but I ve only been tested for VDRL for now and it came back non-reactive so are there chances that...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Matthew J. Mangat
  • Q - What does discoloration on the penis head indicate?

  • Q - Is sexual intercourse after a varicocele operation risky?

  • Q - What does numbness in pelvic area after using weed indicate?

  • Q - What causes bowel and urinary discomfort post radiation for prostate...

  • Q - Is Moxicip advisable when on treatment for TB ?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for UTI and blood in urine

  • Q - Suggest treatment for intermittent pain in right testicle

  • Q - What do recurrent UTI and incontinence after TOT cystoscopy indicate?

  • Q - What do these below lab reports indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for blood in urine, headaches and chills