What causes a small black spot on gum?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Cancer
Question: I got a small black spot on my gum that looks like a hole after the dentist gave me a numbing shot so he could extract a tooth. I went back this mornkng and he gave me some ointment to put on it and said if it was better by monday he would suture it. My question is whay is it? My dentist never reallg explained it to me. I'm worried about oral cancer because I use tobacco although I'm trying to.quit but he said it doesn't look like its dangerous or nothing.
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to wait and see

Detailed Answer:
You might have had some infection at the site of puncture. Hence the black spot. Your dentist might have given you antibiotic ointment which would allow it to heal.

Though this is one possibility and all want only this as possibility, your fear cannot be totally ignored. Most of the oral cancers are diagnosed at the time of tooth extraction. Usually they present as non healing ulcers, not as black spot which you mentioned. But we need to give a trial of antibiotics and wait for sometime.

Tobacco is the most common preventable cause of cancer. Tobacco in all forms is dangerous. Not only oral cancers many other cancers are caused by tobacco like cancer of lung, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, bladder, etc. All this can be prevented by simple task........QUITTING TOBACCO
Quit tobacco and stay healthy.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam

Oncologist