What causes a shooting pain from the left ear to a point deeper in the skull in an elderly?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: four occurrances yesterday, plus five more this morning during the last hour. Pain seems to be located along a line beginning about an inch deep near my left ear, and ending at a point deeper in my skull, but still slightly on the left side of same. Pain lasts five to fifteen seconds, and pain severity can be from four to seven or eight on a scale of ten. I am a 67 year old male who has experienced about two hundred TIA's within the last 35 years, but with plavix, simvistatin, and aspirin, I have had only two TIA's within the last two years. I am sixty pounds overweight, and have had some temporary toe numbness, sometimes in both feet, within the last four months.

I should have said metoprolol tartrate 50mg TWICE per day, not once per day
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a pinched nerve

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your description of shooting pain is suggestive of a pinched nerve and may occur with cervical spondylosis.
X ray of the cervical spine may be suggestive but MRI would be diagnostic in most such conditions.
It would be good to see a neurologist if you have the access.
If not an internist would be able to prescribe Gabapentin to relieve your pain.
You may also use a muscle relaxant with analgesic to get relief.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.