What causes a severe left lower middle back pain and passing of little urine despite having strong urge?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was helping my in laws move today and lifting heavy furniture. I began to have really bad back pain on my left lower middle side area. It would go away then come back. But something else is that I go to the bathroom and feel like I have to pee really bad but very little comes out. But it feels like I got to go really bad.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a herniated disc but also a urinary tract infection too.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for post your query.

I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

You might have had a herniated disc or a compressed muscle.
But also you might have a urinary tract infection.

If I was your caring doctor I would recommend to consider doing a urine analyze to confirm or rule out infection.

Also, do an ultrasound to see how much residual urine there is after your try to empty your bladder and then if you are not being able to empty it, you should do further testing.

Take a painkiller for the back pain, and also use a local analgesic 3-4 times/day.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Klarida Papaqako, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T