• question-icon

What causes a sensitive patch of skin on the leg after a colposcopy?

Posted on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 in Lump
Question: I had a colposcopy 4 days ago, and the next day had a sensatibe patch of skin on my leg. The sensativity spread up the leg, and i have gotton a few hives and a cluster of blister like bumps on the site where the sensativity started. I also had bread for the first time in a lomg time that day, and am wondering if it might actually be a reaction to food, and not something to do with the provedure. I have not had any abnormal discharge or a fever, so i dont beleabe the coloscopy site is infected, but these orher symptoms are worrysome. Is this more likely a wheat or glutin intolorance or an isssue from the procedure?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dermatitis herpetiformis is a possibility - reaction to gluten

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/31 - calposcopy 4 days ago - next day sensitive patch of skin on leg - hives and cluster of blisters - had a bread same day but after a long time - wondering if this is gluten allergy or so...

Your description fits well for a condition called Dermatitis herpetiformis, that occurs due to reaction to gluten. So this is most likely a possibility.

Please consult your Doctor ASAP and get the appropriate treatment and say no to gluten; consult your Dietitian to have gluten free diet. On examination the Doctor can also think of the other possible causes, you may please give reference of this condition and have an early diagnosis and proper treatment.

I hope this answer helps you.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon