What causes a sense of deja vu for about a week and weird sense of smells?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Been having s sense of dejavue for about a week, with weird sense of smells, and now objects appear much more clearly colored and detailed as if I am looking inward and not outward .
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible seizures.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description the first diagnosis to be considered would be that of a seizure, more specifically a seizure originating in the temporal lobe of the brain. Seizures originating in that area commonly manifest with XXXXXXX vu sensations and smelling involvement.
So I believe that is something to be looked into as seizures at your age do not usually come out of nothing, they may be manifestations of brain lesions such as infections, tumors, stroke etc. For that reason a neurological consult is necessary as I believe brain imaging preferably with MRI and an EEG must be scheduled.

At times anxiety might be another explanation in particular given the hormonal changes occurring in menopause, but that is a diagnosis to be made only once brain lesions are excluded.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.