What causes a sensation of whirling and loss of balance?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am experiencing vertigo, spinning sensation particularly in the mornings. I take blood pressure meds and vitamins. I take 40 mg of Lisinapril and an additional diuretic to treat BP. Can't figure out what is causing this spinning sensation, it comes and goes throughout the day but intense upon waking. Strong feeling of nausea but no actual nausea. Also get hot and experience mild sweating while vertigo in happening. What could this be caused by?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
most commonly related to inner ear

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vertigo can be a very disturbing symptom.

It can be related to different causes but most commonly due to problems in the inner ear.

The most common inner ear problems are : (1) benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- BPPV (2) meniere's disease (3) vestibular neuronitis (4) immune related inner ear disease

There are other causes but they are not as common eg migraines or a lesion/mass in the ear or brain (not common at all).

BPPV- vertigo lasts for seconds to minutes, worse with certain positions of head, benign ( not due to a dangerous cause)
Treated by a maneuver called the epley maneuver which is a series of movements that your doctor can show you if this is the cause

Menieres- vertigo lasts minutes to few hours, usually associated with hearing loss and tinnitus (abnormal noises in the ear)
Treated mostly with salt restriction and diuretics. Steroids if needed

Vestibular neuronitis- most common of the four, . Treated with a brief set of anti emetic (nausea and vomiting medication and vestibular meds (meds to reduce vertigo).
Only given for a short time so the body can help to heal itself. A short course of oral steroids also recommended.

Immune- progresses rapidly, bilateral hearing loss

It would be best to see your doctor to try to determine the cause so that the treatment can be tailored to suit the actual cause.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
After discussion with relative, we wondered if this reaction could be caused by elevated sugar intake or by a spike in sugar in system?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
would need to be a significant increase

Detailed Answer:
HI

Abnormal blood sugars can cause dizziness but it would need to significantly altered eg as in a diabetic
IN a non diabetic , though some meals would cause an increase in blood sugars, if the insulin in the body is working well, this increase would not be excessive or prolonged

Because chronic illness can often co exist, you may want to consider screening for prediabetes (persons at risk of becoming full diabetic) or diabetes , if you have not be tested recently

You can also consider getting a glucometer to use at home to check your blood sugars when you feel unwell to see if there is any link.

Please feel free to ask anything else