What causes a sensation of water running down the face?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having a sensation of water running down on the left side of my face around the side, it happens totally randomly anytime of the day and stays for around 5-10 seconds and then disappears it has been happening for last 3 weeks or so.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information please

Detailed Answer:
hi,

Did you injury that side of the face anytime?
Do you have ear pain recently? or Viral fever with cold, sorethroat and cough?
Do you grind teeth at night and or have pain chewing food on that side?
If you have any other relevant information please detail me out.

It sounds to be parasthesias. You can get Vitamin B12 levels in the blood.
Patience and time would generally see these symptoms resolve if nothing is abnormal.

Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 10 minutes later
i didn't have any injury or ear pain, but it started after i had viral fever along with sore throat the fever got better after 2 days but there was still sore throat and after a week of having the fever i had conjunctivitis most probably bacterial, and the conjunctivitis also got better after a day and exactly that day the sensation started, but days following that my sore throat wasn't exactly better i had that lumpy feeling in my throat some day it might be on right side of throat some day it might on the left and some days it was totally alright, and along with that i also had bit of redness in my eyes after waking up along with more than normal discharge in the eyes and along with that the sensation around my ear was also on going, but since last week i don't have any of other symptoms but only have that sensation of something dripping down my left side of face which is mildly annoying and also results in anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spontaneously resolve

Detailed Answer:

The sensations must be sequelae to the viral infection you had. The facial nerve was involved in the recent episode. It is trying to leave nerve endings out. However there is anxiety coupled with the above episode.

YOu should not be worried now. We generally give a short course of Gabapentin for a week and stop to tackle both the sensations and anxiety.

You can ask your doctor if you fit for the dose.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 13 minutes later
and also there another thing is since the flu i am almost almost having a little blood stuck to the mucus in my left nostril as well, the mucus production is not more than usual but there is almost always blood there, and some days i also feel pressure at the back of my nostrils when ever i bend my head downwards a weird kind of pressure like water have sneaked into my nose through the throat, but it gets to normal whenever my head is straight
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Sudafed

Detailed Answer:
h you need good decongestant.
you can use otrivin o nasal drops to clear the blood stuck in the nostrils. pls do not poke with finger into nostrils. you may injure them and cause more injury to the blood vessels. you can put ice packs over nose to constrict blood vessels.