What causes a sensation of lump and burning in throat with stiff neck?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,

For the last week and a half I have had a mild sensation of a lump in my throat. It it pretty constant during the day but seems to lighten up when waking from nightly sleep (though is present when I do lay down). It's mainly super annoying.

At any rate I did visit and ENT and had my throat examined via scope. He noted that my voice box was mildly burned (from reflux) and also stated that my lingual tonsils were inflamed. I don't have any other symptoms other than a stiff neck which is more on the direct side and not where glands and nodes are located. No respiratory issues (I run 3-4 days a week).

As an ex smoker and a casual drinker (1-2 drinks a day, mainly beer or wine), I have a huge paranoia that something more serious is underlying this issue. The ENT said he 'didn't see anything that led him to believe this as the case' from the scope and prescribed steroids to lessen the tonsil inflammation. My questions are.
A. could this all be a symptom of silent reflux and my mind just running away with me?
B. would such an examination normally pinpoint underlying issues such as malignancy?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These seem to be the common symptoms of reflux.

2. A normal examination indicates that there is no underlying malignancy.

3. It takes many weeks to control reflux and lingual tonsil hypertrophy.

4. Your treatment should include anti reflux medication and medicated gargles in addition to steroids.

5. Regular follow up is recommended.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
In your experience have you seen inflammation of the lingual tonsils commonly stem from silent reflux (LPR I think it's called)?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. It is common.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Lingual tonsil hypertrophy is common in cases with reflux, allergy snd PND (Post Nasal Drip).

2. Reflux treatment should continue for at least 8 to 12 weeks.

3. Besides being common, this also settles down with medication in most cases.

Regards.