What causes a sebaceous cyst at the back of the knee?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Had a seb cyst removed on the inside of my knee and the area is healing nicely but now I have a squishy feeling down the inside of my shin and my ankle is a little swollen on the inside of foot. When I press on my on the inside of my shin it leave a little indention but goes away in a few seconds. What could that be and what specialist would I need to see or will it go away over time.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will gradually decrease.

Detailed Answer:
The squishy stuff inside of shin can be the inflammatory fluid leaking inside. It happens in case of infected cyst. The swelling near ankle is also due to collection of fluid. it is best to keep the leg raised on two pillows while resting for the swelling to decrease. Do continue with the antibiotic and anti inflammatory. it will take 1-2 weeks for the swelling to go down completely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
I have completed my rounds of antibiotics do I need the doc to prescribe me another round and I have also been taking ibuprofen too as my anti inflammatory every four to six hours and propping my leg up when not working. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get it examined for infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you have completed one round of antibiotics then it is best to get it examined to check if the signs of infection are present or not. it can be a non infective reactive fluid only that will subside gradually. taking enzymes like Trypsin- chymotrypsin can help to reduce the swelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.