What causes a scar on the knee?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a scar on the side of my knee. the scar is from a wound 18 years back. I have lot of itching around that scar and it gives temp relief for a while if i use any moisturiser.
please advise what should be done to cure.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Keloid, go for intralesional steroid injections

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it is a keloid.
It is a type of scar which can occur following injury or trauma in some individuals.
It is usually treated with intralesional steroid injections. Triamcinolone acetonide 40 mg/ml is used as a steroid.
Multiple such injections are required after every 3-4 weeks.
This will help in resolving the scar as well as associated itching.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
Thanks for your response, is there any ointment which can be applied instead of injections?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contratubex gel or vaniza gel or scarend silicon gel

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You can use contratubex gel or vaniza gel or scarend silicon gel.
All are equally good.
You can use either of the above.
Apply either of the above on the affected area twice daily for 3-4 months regularly as the medicines act slowly and will take time to show response.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng