What causes a ridge under scar after hernia repair?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 in Lump
Question: I had a hernia repaired (iguanal) last January by a vascular surgeon. he put a mesh in there. what remains is a ridge under the scar, and the surgeon said it was where the skin was bunched up to install stitches. he said it would go away in a couple months. buy it hasn't and its been 6 months. t still a strong ridge. there is no pain. but I feel it sometimes when I lean forward and I think it presses on the stomach lining or something. np pain, just a little discomfort. do I need to be concerned about this ridge of skin? what is the worst thing that could happen? could the skin ridge tear up my stomach lining or intestine lining?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mostprobably hypwertrophied scar.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read and understood your problems.
The ridge of the skin which you can feel is most probably a hypsertrophied scar that developed out of hte skin and the underlying tissues.

I do not think that you have to be concerned about this ridge of the skin, this is just a more than normal healing response of the body towards healing hence the hypertrophy.

The worst thing that can happen is only a small problem. This is called kelloid and the next step of body's continued response. In this condition there may be more darkening, increase in size and may be a mild itching one gets.
This too is treatable.

This will never tear up the stomach or intestinal lining and this is way away from the intestines as there are intervening muscles, the mesh and peritoneum in between.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask further queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
You may please post a clear picture of the scar attached to this query or send as
attachments @healthcaremagic.com

With Regards.