• question-icon

What causes a reddish round ringworm?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi what is the reason for a ringworm to appear. It'd round a reddish circle.
Only one spot.
What medication can I take off the shelf.
Thank you. God bless
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clotrimazole cream and antihistaminics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
Ringworm is a fungal infection which can occur anywhere on the body.
It is usually common in humid moist areas of the body like groins, arm pits and inframammary folds though it can occur anywhere.
It can occur from sharing an infected person's soap, towels and clothes. It is quite common in obese, diabetes and those immunosuppressed.
In cases of ringworm infection I recommend my patients to apply clotrimazole cream on the affected area twice daily for 2 weeks.
For itching I ask them to take antihistamine like tablet Loratidine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist