What causes a red swollen spot on the finger after an insect bite?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I was weed eating and something either bit me or stuck me under my arm in the pit area. Now I have a red swollen place about the length of my little finger and about 2 inches wide. It is red and itches like crazy. I have tried tricalm ointment on it and took an allergy pill,I also placed a cold pack on it last night and took a 600 mg. of ibuprofen.It looks like there are little red like bumps or punctures there also.I have some doxclycline hyclate 100 mg. tablets would it help or hurt to take one of those . I usually am slightly allergic to bug bites and bee stings also to poison oak or ivy.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should start oral antihistamine drug.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of acute allergic reaction to some bite is more likely in your case.
Instead of tricalm ointment, you should apply steroid cream (mometasone).
Take antihistamine(levocetrizine or fexofenadine) and anti allergic (montelukast) combination.
Apply ice packs on affected areas.
It would be of great help if you can show me picture of this rash.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.