What causes a red swollen bump in the nostril?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Jan 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My right nostril has been red for 3 weeks and hasn't changed at all. There seems to be a bump under the skin but no crusting, itching, pimple or pus. Prior to this I had a sore inside the nose which healed and then this popped up immediately afterward.

I am very concerned that it is cancer. I've had XXXXXXX on my nose but it was a little recurring pimple and this looks more like a red circle.

I went to the PCP who gave me ointment to apply inside and outside which I did for a few days and it did nothing.

Can you give me some things it could be. I've researched and it could be (apart from cancer) Fungus, Impetigo, Ingrown hair.

I'm concerned the longer it remains red, the greater the chance it will scar. I've always healed well and I don't have acne, never have and I'm 43 years old.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be furuncle, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
According to your history it seems to be furuncle most likely which is infection of the hair follicle. Other possibility is fungal infection.
You can upload the pictures under the report section of the site or mail them at YYYY@YYYY as "Attention: Dr Asmeet".
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 27 minutes later
I just sent you a couple of pictures. Please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can't see any pictures, kindly upload them again

Detailed Answer:
I can't see any pictures.
Kindly upload them again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 41 minutes later
Just uploaded a picture.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be folliculitis, take oral antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it is looking like folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicle.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take oral antibiotic besides topical.
You can take tablet cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 5 days and apply mupirocin cream on this area twice daily for 5-7 days.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
If it doesn't show improvement in 5-7 days then consult a dermatologist and get it evaluated.
Dr Asmeet
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 17 minutes later
Thank you for your response.

So it doesn't look like XXXXXXX carcinoma based on what you can tell from the picture? I was really worried that's what is was.

I was told to put that ointment inside my nose but it makes it itch so bad. Is that normal? And I haven't been putting on the redness on the outside, so I should do that too? Since it's been inflamed for 3 weeks do you think it's going to leave a permanent scar?

I'll make an appt to get a prescription for the antibiotic.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not looking like basal cell carcinoma

Detailed Answer:
Its not looking like basal cell carcinoma.
Irritation can occur from any topical medicine.
You can ask your doctor to change the topical antibiotic.
Apply the medicine on the outside as well.
It can leave a scar but not necessarily.
The response of skin varies from person to person.