What causes a red rash on the calf, hair loss and weight loss?

Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was bite by something this spring-bite me three times across right ankle. Was very sick for a month. A awful red rash started around bite area-has progressed highway up front calf. I have progressively lost hair, had a eye bug out on right side, leg swells on right, lost weight, but am continually hungry, and so very, very tired all the time. I have a cough from Feb. when I was so sick, that I can't get rid of. The PA listened to my lungs, said they sounded good. Never get up rested. I saw local PA 1 1/2 weeks ago. They tested for Lyme disease. It came back negative. I also have tenderness right stomach area (liver area), and my spine at the very bottom of my tailbone hurts consently-so bad one day a month ago I almost went to emergency room. Its a sickening dull pain. I have a constant sore area on my right side on my back by "wing". The only thing my tests revealed was I have an elvalated thyroid. The PA gave me clobestasol 0.5% cream for my leg and it is slowly getting better. My vitals were good: Blood pressure: 122/78, Temp. Oral: 98.2, Respirations: 18, Oxygen Saturation: 99%.

Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism explaining all your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the health situation you are going through.

1. All your symptoms including skin rash, hair loss and feeling hungry all the time are due to elevated thyroid (Hyperthyroidism).

Can you please send to me the results of thyroid function test? So I can analyze the results myself and give a more precise opinion.

Did. they prescribe any medication for that?

2. Wish regards to the rash, can you please send a photo of the affected area if the rash is visible?

Apart Hyperthyroidism, fungal infection of the skin or eczema are to be considered.

3. With regards to the bite, it seems like bug bite. I am happy no Lyme disease was detected.

Sometimes, insect bites are associated with ling lasting rash. Antihistaminic orally can help in case of itching.

Looking forward to have the requested information and photo in.
Dr.Sejdini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 12 hours later
Dear Dr. Sejdini,
Thank you for your response. I only talked to a nurse concerning the blood tests for Lyme disease; and she mentioned the tests showed evalated thyroid. I have to see the doctor again for this on Sept.6.
The doctor gave me a cream for the rash (Clobestasol 0.5%). It is helping a lot.
I have taken pictures of my leg, but don't know how to insert them here! Otherwise I would send you one.
Thank you for your help. I hope you having a great day. It is rainy (much needed), here on the coast in Oregon.
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can send at following email address

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Can send at following email address:

YYYY@YYYY

with subject line:"attn to Dr.Fatbardha Sejdini"

Looking forward to have the requested photo in.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 4 hours later
Hello Doctor:

Here are the pictures of my leg.We will be gone for three days, and I won't have internet.

Thank you.
Brief Answer:
Hi back

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Hope you're doing fine. You'll get my massage after coming back.

I noticed the affected skin and noted a large rash while the skin is darker.! It seemed more like a bruising to me (correct me if you

If I was your caring doctor would check the status of the blood vessels of your lower limbs.

Next, a complete blood count, coagulation tests and examination of skin scrapping. Without understanding the status of your blood circulation there, we cannot treat the rash permanently.

Discuss this further with your doctor and hope you will come with the most appropriate treatment.

Dr.Sejdini
I
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 47 hours later
Hello Dr.,
Thank you for you ideas on this. Would I have blocked veins to cause this? I know one thing, I feel worse each day!
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,deep vein thrombosis/insufficiency suspected

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

From what I have seen so far, it seemed deep veins thrombosis, that's why I asked to check the status of the blood vessels in your legs.

Let me know if you have any other question.
Dr.Sejdini