• question-icon

What causes a red lump on the tongue?

Posted on Fri, 13 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what could have possibly caused the red bump that has appeared on my tongue? should I seek father medical attention.? It is not painful. Also, my lipase has been around 400 (418 and 428) and the upper normal range for the assay used by the lab is 297. Should I be concerned? it's been elevated for like 2 weeks now without any obvious abdominal pain. did have a good bout of constipation, but nothing other than that.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I've reviewed the attached image.

The raised red bumps in the back of the tongue are totally normal , they are part of the normal anatomy of the tongue and are called papillae.

It can happen that in an acute inflammation or infection of the upper airways , these structures get inflamed and swollen. In the picture you have sent , I see a totally normal tongue. You need not worry.

Regarding the elevated level of Lipase, it can have many causes like gall stones, alcohol , a viral infection of gastrointestinal tract etc.

Elevated levels of Lipase indicate mostly an inflammation of Pancreas. In this case you would have abdominal pain or other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (you've already mentioned no pain abdomen as such, so is there any other symptoms ? ).

It would be helpful to know the results of the liver-enzymes too ( AST, ALT, Bilirubin). If these enzymes are in normal range and you have no symptoms at all, I would suggest to wait and just check the Lipase-level again in 2-3 Weeks.

If the level is still elevated , I would recommend you to get an abdominal Ultrasonography done.

Let me know if you have any other question. I would be happy to help you.

Kind regards,
Dr. Murati

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Liver enzymes were all in the normal range and so is my XXXXXXX thanks for the information. Great answer!
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

In this case I would recommend just to wait and recheck the Lipase level in few weeks. An isolated elevation of Lipase level with no symptoms and no further anomalies in the other tests ,it is more likely to be a normal variation more than a indicator of pancreas disease.

Kind regards,
Dr.Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rovena Murati