What causes a red lump on the breast?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: what could this red lump on my breast be? No pain not hot feels like the size of a pea .... I thought it was a pimple forming but no head but does feel like something is in the middle of the lump like I could squeeze it. I have an abscessed tooth and I just started clindamycin yesterday but the lump appeared before I started the antibiotic. could it just be a clogged pore? attaching photo

not pregnant or breastfeeding * or on my period
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more information for a more specific answer

Detailed Answer:
1. Do you have any fevers or chills?
2. How long has it been present?
3. Any recent trauma to that breast?
4. Have you ever had similar sores or infections elsewhere on your body?
5. What is the dose of clindamycin and how many days are you going to be on it?

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
I noticed it yesterday
I've had similar bumps I assumed were pimples/clogged pores on my breast before
no recent trauma
no chills
just took temp underarm it's 97.9 have not taken ibuprofen in 17 hours (800mg last time I took it was 11pm last night)
150mg of clandimicine (10mLs) every 6 hours for 7 days
I've taken clindamycin before with no problems
it appeared after my husband and I were intimate and his mouth was on my breast , embarrassed to say that but that's why I thought it might be a clogged pore

is this something I should be concerned about?????
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is some version of non-lactational mastitis

Detailed Answer:
When I look at the pictures, my first instincts is that this is some form of localized infection. The infection of most concern is called MRSA (methicillin resistance staph aureus). Perhaps you have heard of this. The most common cause of breast infections is related to Staph aureus and we most often see it in breast-feeding women. In women who are not breast-feeding, with localized red area that looks like cellulitis I would be thinking about MRSA. Clindamycin should cover this so I will assume that whatever it is it will respond to the clindamycin.

My other concern is that you feel a lump. You should never ignore a breast lump. While you are young (36) and the chance of cancer is extremely small, any breast lump, no matter what the level of concern, needs some form of imaging. One thing I find odd about the area is the increased vascularity over the surface of the area in question. In all likelihood this is just a benign fibroma of the breast that gets inflamed but it really needs further evaluation. But I do NOT think you have breast cancer.

Having the pictures is very useful. Even if it clears up, ask for referral to someone (even an OB/GYN) who has experience evaluating breast lesions. They need to schedule you for a breast ultrasound or a mammogram.

Does this help??
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy