Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What causes a red lump in the groin area?

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 16156 Questions
What could a reddened lump in groin area on side of labia be?
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Lump
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better.
Since when is the lump present?
What is the size?
Is it fixed with the skin or mobile?
Does it increase on coughing and reduce on pressure?
Any other information please.
With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes a red lump in the groin area? 1 hour later
Noticed and felt lump about 4 days ago because of tenderness. Thought it was an interior pimple. Has grown each day with redness increasing and small spot turning purple. Tried to see if ingrown hair but unable to determine. It doesn’t move location firm lump feels deep under skin
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infected cyst/boil

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
As per the history of short period that you have mentioned and other description, this looks to be a boil, infected cyst or so.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Local hygiene - cleaning with soap and water - making the area dry and apply liquid povidone iodine.
Consult your Doctor to see for the exact cause.
May need a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medications.
If the swelling increases or does not respond to the medical management you may need a small incision and drainage after a few days.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries and give feedback please.
Take care.
With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor