• question-icon

What causes a red lesion on the back of the throat?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Red lesion noticed on top of mouth near tonsil.

Another concern is that I am having pain near, what I can best guess, is the left parotid gland/lymph nodes. I can lightly pinch the area from inside/outside of my mouth so it is for sure in the back of the cheek. Im also having jaw pain in that area that seems to radiate to the back upper molars. Worried about cancer.

Medical history: 32 y/o healthy male
Just quit using smokeless tobacco after 7-8 years and used to drink ~6 beers a day.

I had septoplasty performed 5 days ago.

Attached is a photo of the lesion in the mouth and a photo of wear I can feel the pain in the cheek (index finger).

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
traumatic, regional lymphnode, observe for a week

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and the images.
As per the image the red area or lesion what you are describing is not looking like cancer. It can be a simple red area secondary to trauma either by food particles or during surgery(since you are giving history of surgery while administering general anesthesia). Nothing to worry it will subside in a week. Regarding the pain in the jaws , it can be secondary to tooth or gum infection. Nothing to worry consult an oral physician and get it evaluated. The other possible cause can be an inflamed regional lymphnode since you have got septoplasty done, that's common following any surgical procedures.. You can wait for a week and compete the course of medicines prescribed following surgery and later consult the oral physician.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 20 minutes later
Also just found these red lesions inside left lower cheek. FYI my last denta screening was 2 weeks ago
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding disorder, viral infection, blood investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply. If you have multiple red spots over the cheek and other parts of the oral cavity, it can be secondary to viral infections or any bleeding disorders like thrombocytopenia or dengue. So you need to consult an oral physician now and also take an opinion from a general physician. You need to get a blood count done(preferably platelet, BT, CT and ESR). I know you might have got it done before septoplasty but it's better to get it done now. As per the images you have exhchymosis below the eyes also so it can be secondary to any bleeding disorders. the swelling can be a hematoma also, so better consult an oral physician and get it evaluated immediately. You might have consulted the dentists two weeks back but all these lesions were not there at that time.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 29 minutes later
I do have Protein S deficiency. May that be it? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
drugs, anticoagulants, consult your physician

Detailed Answer:
The red spots are not because of the protein s deficiency. But The possible cause for the red spots and echchymosis over the face can be because of the drugs prescribed to treat protein s deficiency. In protein s deficiency, there will be formation of the clots in the blood vessels. To prevent these clots patients are advised to take anticoagulant like aspirin or warfarin or any anticoagulants so these drugs results in bleeding that may manifest as red spots, ecchymosis or hematoma(swelling). So you need to consult your physician with whom you are taking treatment for protein s deficiency and need to alter the dose or stop the drugs(if you are taking anticoagulants).
In your medical history, it has been mention not specified, please make sure that you need to mention all your medical and drug history properly so that you will get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care.

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery