What causes a recurrent small blister below the shoulder?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor. My son had a rash- actualy it looks more like small blister right below his shoulder. They come n go. (He plays football out in the heat)
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please provide pictures for assessment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

I have read your query,

Rash like small blister could be Prickly heat or some insect bite or may be something else but I will need to see that lesion/blister to arrive at a certain conclusion.

So, please provide pictures of the same and I will guide you accordingly after that. You can simply upload it at the reports section.

Awaiting your response,

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Its just on his left arm only
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Provide some answers.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again and thanks for sharing pictures,

I have carefully reviewed the attachments,

From the pictures, I would think about the possibilities of some insect bite or small boil first. They should be ruled out first.

So please answer to my below mentioned questions?

Since how many days your son has noticed these?
How frequently they come (as you said they come and go)?
Did he take any over the counter medication for them?
Is there any pain or itching or burning sensations over the blisters?

Please get back to me with this information.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
He said he noticed them about 4 months ago. They will disappear n then appear again. They last about 2or 3days. ( i noticed about 2 months ago- thought it was a insect bite but then it dissapeared n a few days later i saw another blister same arm but different area. Always the same arm)

He hasnt taken any medication.

No pain n usually not itchiness.he said he feels nothing maybe once in a while he needs to his arm. But I never see him scratching and ive been around him because i took some time off of work for the summer. He sometimes looks at it because he dosent like how it looks. This is the worts that hes had it.

It also crossed my mind about the heat. I live in california n its always hot n XXXXXXX Since hes in football Hes always out in the sun.

Now im getting worried. scratch
Brief Answer:
Possibility due to excess heat.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing more information,

Since there is no itching or pain and also they disappeared by their own, I would keep the possibility due to excess heat first and slightly unlikely due to some underlying infection.

He can apply benadryl cream and take over the counter antihistamine like cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.

Ask him to drink plenty of water and fruit juices throughout the day which will maintain his water and electrolyte balance in the body.

In case,if these blisters become painful or itchy or they spread to the other arm or body area,I would suggest you to see skin specialist for one time consultation for further evaluation.

At present,they do not look to be some serious issue,so no need to worry about it.

Dr.Sandip Kabra