What causes a rash on the scrotum?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash on my scrotum and between my thigh and scrotum. It is intensely itchy at times and the skin flakes off and gets sore when I itch it. My doctor said its jock itch but I can't seem to get rid of it. I also get little red dots on my pens. What else could it be??
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either jock itch or intertrigo, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Health Care Magic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.

According to your complaints it can be either intertrigo which is due to inflammation of the body folds or due to jock itch which is a fungal infection.

I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly. You can upload them at the reports section.

Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 37 hours later
Is there a home remedy for this and do you have advice on the best way to cure this?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antifungal cream and powder, antihistaminic tablets

Detailed Answer:
There are no home remedies available for this condition.
Keep the area dry, wear loose cotton clothes, avoid heavy exercises and strenous activities, avoid sharing of soap and towel and stay in a cool airy environment.
Besides this use an antifungal dusting powder like clotrimazole powder or terbinafine powder on the affected area 2-3 times in a day.
Also apply an antifungal cream like sertaconazole cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime.
This should relieve your signs and symptoms in case it is fungal infection.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng