What causes a rash on the ankle?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: In the winter, I get a rash around my ankles. I think it came from working on some high grass one summer. I live in northeastern New York and the weather gets very cold. It starts in Nov. and last until April or May. It feels like bugs are eating at my ankles and it leaves me with red patches. I don't have any insurance, please help me. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either dermatitis or psoriasis, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
According to your complaints it could be either dermatitis or psoriasis.
I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas under the report section of the site so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
I don't have a camera, is there an over the counter drug or cream that I could buy for dermatitis or psoriasis?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream & moisturising cream

Detailed Answer:
You can apply cortisone cream on the rash twice daily along with application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire legs 2-3 times in a day.
These should be available as over the counter drugs.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 minutes later
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best.