What causes a rash near the anal cavity?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a rash or something like it on the inside of my left buttock close to the XXXXXXX cavity. I'm not sure which Doctor I should see about it.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dermatologist or proctologist...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

As per your description of the rash, there are two possibilities:

- Dermatologist if there is any problem with the skin (infection,allergy etc)
- Proctologist (colo-rectal surgeon), if the skin is irritated by an anal fistula, sebaceous cyst etc.

I'd suggest you check up first with your family doctor for a visual inspection and a physical examination, if needed and s/he will be able to tell you if you need to consult a Dermatologist or a Proctologist.

Your doctor might be able even to prescribe medicine if it's a skin related concern (nothing serious). You can also upload/attach the picture of the area here at the reports section for my review.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee