What causes a raised red pustule on the elbow?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jul 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,
I have developed a raised red pustule on my elbow (about 0.4-0.5mm in diameter, about 1-2mm height). I don't know when it appeared, but it wasn't there in August last year. I noticed it about 2-3 weeks ago and don't think it's grown since. It's painless, there's no redness around it (clearly delineated) and it feels hard. It looks to me there are also a few pigment dots on top, but I can't feel depth by palpation. I saw a dermatologist today who said that it could be a dermatofibroma, but it that it did look atypical and I have a date for an excision in a few weeks now. I've had a dermatofibroma on my leg and this looks definitely different - it's more like a surface growth.I realize the only way to know for sure is to biopsy, but still - would like to get some thoughts on the likely cause. Based on my Internet research and image browsing so far I think it could be a a) common wart (papilloma) b) dermatofibroma c) basal cell carcinoma or d)(i hope not) nodular melanoma. or something else... Is there anything specific to look for in order to rule any of these out...?
Attached is an enlarged photo.
Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Painless red papule

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history and seen the attached photograph.

The possibilities I would consider are Dermatofibroma, Spitz nevus, Desmoplastic nevus and benign Appendegeal tumours.

It does not look like a wart or any malignancy ( basal cell carcinoma or melanoma).

The only sure way to confirm is by a skin biopsy which you are already scheduled for.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any further queries, I will be glad to assist.

Dr. Johny Chacko