• question-icon

What causes a radiating pain in jaw, neck,ears, teeth and scalp?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: After a long 4 hours skitrip yesterday, I was relaxing for about 1 hour. Suddenly I felt a pain spreading through my jaw area, neck/ throat up towards my ears and making my teeth hurt. The pain was not very strong, more like nervepain. Might be described like the pain of recieving an injections at multiple sites along the jawline. The sensations spread all the way up towards my scalp, along both sides and top and lower teeth. This lasted about half an hour off and on, but pain in my teeth recided for the whole evening. Today I can barely feel it in my front teeth up and down. I had not eated or drank anything that might have set this off. I had been skiiing crosscountry for 4 hours earlier the same day, but felt no pain while skiing.
The sensation unnerved me slightly, my sister and mother both have MS and have suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia, but these pains are much more intense and usually unilateral. Well, I wonder whether any explaination is obvious, and fear slightly that it may be of cardiac origin. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dental origin should be considered. Not cardiac related pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

I guess the MRI results you refer didn't show any problems such neurovascular conflict that may explain trigeminal neuralgia, or any white matter lesions that may indicate MS, right?

Also, how long before you had the MRI done?

The pain you refer is not typical one of the cardiac origin, in my opinion, considering the distribution, bilateral trigeminal pain may be an explanation.

It may be related to dental conditions and an evaluation by your Dentist is necessary.

If dental origin excluded and this was just one episode, this atypical pain may be related to anxiety and stress disorder, and fatigue after prolonged skiing may contribute in triggering this.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical