• question-icon

What causes a pus filled bump on the leg?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hey! I'm just thinking about this little bump I had on my leg about a month ago. It was puss filled with a red circle around it. I live in a remote site in Alaska but was visiting family in XXXXXXX Oregon and we did go on a hike in wet conditions. I popped and disinfected the area and the circle is gone now (took about 6 days to dissipate). No other symptoms. Obviously, I'm paranoid about Lyme Disease, but definitely don't wanna do the antibiotic route if unnecessary and there are no doctors here that know this disease. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have images for review?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much of this query.

It is difficult to tell is this were lyme’s disease or not from the description alone. However, lyme’s disease has a characteristic rash that is evident to us who get to see many similar cases. I will suggest that you kindly upload any image you may have of this rash for review and guidance.

If you don’t have any, it might be more helpful to get tested just to make sure there is nothing we are missing out on. If we do identify any infection that requires an antibiotic, then that will be justified.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Please, do not forget to upload an image if you do have any available.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 hours later
I don't have an image because the site is healed now. It WASN"T like a "ring" that I'm reading about (is that what you think of as a "characteristic rash"? Mine was a solid red circle with a bump of puss in the middle which I immediately broke open and cleaned up and off. The circle slowly disappeared. Also, I had just gotten waxed the day before and have some ingrown hairs in that region (which is what I originally wrote it off to.) Finally, I called the health dept in that area and they said it is very rare to get Lymes disease in the XXXXXXX area.....
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely not Lyme related!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed these further details. They all work against a possible Lyme's disease: Rare in are, no characteristic bull's eye nature, pus, etc. Furthermore, this seems to have been provoked by wax treatment making an infected hair follicle more likely.

In all, not Lyme's disease. Antibiotics not recommended. No further testing advised.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 hours later
One more clarification...in my earlier message I expressed that there was pus.
Brief Answer:
Yes, I noted the presence of pus!

Detailed Answer:

I noted this before providing a response to you. Yes, pus works against a possible Lyme's disease.

Keep me posted.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chobufo Ditah