What causes a pulmonary nodule on the lung when diagnosed with pneumonia?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi. My father who is 57 was diagnosed with pnemonia 2 weeks ago. He had a chest xray and it confirmed the initial pnemonia diagnosis. He is finally doing better after a round of antibiotics although he still has it. However, his doctor asked that he have another xray yesteray. The doctor called him today and told him they see a small nodule. He stated it is likely due to the pnemonia and absolutely nothing to worry about that it is common. He has to repeat the xray in 6 weeks. Is this true? Do you think the nodule is likely due to pnemonia? I am very concerned that the doctor said 6 weeks and the fact it wasnt on the first xray. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of healing from pneumonia is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.
After antibiotic treatment, pneumonia heals mostly by complete resolution. In the some cases healing takes place in terms of fibrosis, calcification, nodule formation etc.
So it is possible that nodule in the recent years chest x ray is due to healing from pneumonia.
So if he is improving symptomatic (no fever, cough, expectoration) then no need to worry.
Get done repeat chest x ray after 6 weeks. If nodule is still there or increasing in the size then get done CT thorax.
If you can send me images of both chest x ray than it will be of great help for me to make you understand.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
That is helpful so this is relatively common? I do not have the xrays but i will keep a clise watch. Thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's good that my advice is helping you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
I am glad that my advice is helping you.
Thanks again.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj