What causes a prolonged fever?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Lump
Question: I had an accident 9 days ago on my bike and have included pictures of what it looked like then and now.

I started developing a fever yesterday and am concerned if this is possibly infected.

Fever yesterday was 101. Took ibuprofen this morning and the fever disappeared to normal level.

my fever is currently 102.6.

Should I go to urgent care tonight or can this wait until morning to see my doctor? Urgent care is 25 miles from where I live.

I'm concerned about sepsis or other complications. Do I need antibiotics for this?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
as explained in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
I have read your history and seen the pictures of then and now.
The fever is an indication of an infection, the lip appears red and there is a slough even after 9 days.
You need an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory medicines- Ibuprofen which you are taking needs to be taken three times.
You may please take any left over antibiotic if you have with you and may then consult your Doctor in the morning.
If you do not have antibiotic, it is better to go to Urgent care since you have fever for 2 days, will have a clinical evaluation and examination and blood and urine tests to confirm the cause of fever and get an appropriate treatment initiated.

I hope this answer helps you in decision making, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if your feel that there is a gap of communication.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon