• question-icon

What causes a positive blood test result for hepatitis B?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have had a blood test for hepititis. I have recieved my results ; Hep A negative Hep b Postive and Hep C negative. I am worried so I had a follow up test however, I have not been vaccinated; so I am abit worried as to why it is positive.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
UPload teh report for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I will need to review this report before weighing in. This is because there are some components of the test that can be positive but simply mean that you had been vaccinated before. So the exact component that is positive needs to be interpreted bearing in mind that you had been vaccinated before. For this, I kindly request that you upload your test results for review.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 minutes later
Hi, Thanks I spoke to my GP and they said there is no results showing a vaccination though?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload teh report you received for independent interpretation!

Detailed Answer:

I will suggest that you upload the report for review. I want to review it myself. When I would have looked at all the components, I will make a call. If I feel it is not detailed enough, I will ask for another test.

Kindly follow the instructions above and get it uploaded to me for review!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 minutes later
The report just indicated that hep A and C was negative and B was positive. I am not vaccinated as far as I am aware. I do not have a physical report to hand. However , i have completed a further blood test to test antigens and anti bodies,

What would you recommend ? And does that mean I have hep B ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you have not been vaccinated, then you have hep B!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

I got you wrong. I thought you had been vaccinated before and that's why I was insisting on the need to get the full report. If you have not been vaccinated, then you have hepatitis B. The next step would be to determine whether this is an acute disease or chronic. If acute, monitoring is all that is required. If it is chronic, then we will need to evaluate the liver to see if there is need for treatment now or monitoring is enough.

Note that 90% of persons who get acute hepB get healed spontaneously.

I hope this clarifies. I wish you well. Am available for further exchanges if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 minutes later
I had sex in January with a girl and have not had sex after, so is it conclusive that I have Hep B and therefore how would I know if it is acute or chronic
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is conclusive!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

If the results are accurate, it is conclusive that you have HepB. A comprehensive report of the antibiotics will inform us whether it is acute or chronic. I cannot for sure say you contracted HepB during this last sexual encounter. If I could, it would have been a clear sign to say it is still acute.

I wish you well. Keep me updated!
Dr. Ivo Ditah