What causes a plugging sensation in the ear?
I want to learn how to counteract this condition as it seems to reoccur seasonally--spring and fall--because it affects my hearing, upsets my functioning with balance and with mental assuredness. Have you any additional suggestions to help me deal with this situation?
This might be blocked tube or wax
Welcome to Health Care Magic, Thanks for writing to us,
I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad, I have read your question, I understand your concern and will try to help you in the best possible way.
You history and description about it being seasonal and temporary,
Tells me that it is allergic in nature. I am pleased that you actually know the possible mechanisms already, most common of which is blockage of Eustachian tubes after a throat infection or flu.
I would like to tell you that this is quite controllable and can be treated easily. There are some home remedies which can help.
1) Steam inhalation , this softens the mucous.
2) Using over the counter decongestants like Allegra-D.
3) Using OTC antihistamin pills once daily.
4) Steam warm bath does help in softening up the clogs, but it can't be taken everywhere due to weather differences.
5) You can do Valsalva maneuver thrice a day this will open up the blockage slowly. But this should not be done if there is a hole in your ear drum so you have to make sure it aint there.
6) Sipping in warm drinks helps too.
7) Some people get seasonal wax in ear and you gotta get it cleaned by a doctor till then save your ears from water, when water enters the ear while bathing or when one swims the wax swells up and blocks the ear.
I would suggest you to meet your doctor immediately and get to know if it's wax or blocked Eustachian, that can only be told after examination.
I Hope this answers your question, if your have more queries feel free to ask, otherwise close the discussion and rate it. Wish you the best of health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itchy ears
- What causes cold sensation inside the ears
- What causes concussion symptoms with plugged ears
- What could be the cause for tingling sensation inside ears
- What causes plugged ears after bronchitis
- What causes cold sensation in ears
- What causes popping sensation in the ear
- What causes an ear infections
- What cause fullness sensation in ear with pulsation
- What could be the cause of twitching sensation behind ear