What causes a persistent pimple under the armpit?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daughter has had a nasty pimple under her armpit for several months. She has been treating it with melaleuca during that time and covering it with a bandage. Now the area where the sticky part of the bandaid has been is painful, sore and itches. Looking at it this evening I noticed that her lymph node may be swollen in that area. She has been away at college so I have not been aware of this. I had her take the bandage off tonight. We cleaned the area with soap and water and I put neosporin on it. Could all this irritation cause the lymph node to swell? She has been very tired and blah feeling as of late but no other symptoms.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps she has a skin and soft tissue infection i.e furuncle. Lymph node swelling is secondary to the skin infection.
I would suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin, 500mg, thrice daily for a week. Oral antibiotics are prescription medications.
Topically she may continue with Neosporin ointment, twice daily.
She may also take an oral anti inflammatory e.g ibuprofen tab for symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.